Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate heavy equipment in compliance with the company's operating safety policies and procedures.
- Provide recommendations for maintaining and improving environmental performance.
- Load and unload equipment from vehicles and trailers.
- Ensure company equipment, material, and the work site are maintained, kept clean, and stored in a safe manner. Collect and dispose of scrap, excess materials, and refuse.
- Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
- Complete required paperwork, reporting, and other documentation.
Operator Skills and Competencies
- Hand and foot coordination: You must coordinate movements of your hands and feet in order to guide very large machinery in tight places.
- Operation Monitoring: You'll have to read gauges, dials, and other indicators, and adjust them as necessary.
- Interpersonal skills and teamwork: You must be able to coordinate your actions with those of other workers on busy construction sites.
- Troubleshooting: Anyone operating heavy equipment should be able to detect and fix operating problems.